Methyl benzoate Properties
Methyl benzoate (CAS 93-58-3) is a colorless liquid that is poorly soluble in water, but miscible with organic solvents. Methyl benzoate has a pleasant smell, strongly reminiscent of the fruit of the feijoa tree, and it is used in perfumery. It also finds use as a solvent and as a pesticide used to attract insects such as orchid bees.
- Density 1.0837 g/cm3
- Melting point −12.5 °C (9.5 °F; 260.6 K)
- Boiling point 199.6 °C (391.3 °F; 472.8 K)
- Refractive index (nD) 1.5164
- Flash point 82 °C (180 °F; 355 K)
Specification of Methyl benzoate
Appearance Clear colorless oily liquid
Purity, %min. 99.0
Color, Hazan max. 20
Specific gravity (20°C) 1.082-1.088
Refractive Index (20°C) 1.5140-1.5180
Water, %max. 0.10
Acidity, mgKOH/g max. 1.0
Application of Methyl benzoate
-- Perfume industry: mainly used in the concoction of artificial Ylang spices and perfume compound for soap, also in the production of rose type essence.
- Solvent for cellulose ether, cellulose ester, synthetic resin and rubber.- Dyeing auxiliary for polyester fiber.
- Solvent for microscopic analysis.
Packing200kg per drum.
16mt per 20ft container