Benzalkonium chloride （CAS 8001-54-5) is colorless liquid and also known as BZK, BKC 50% 80%, BAC, alkyldimethylbenzylammonium chloride and ADBAC, is a type of cationic surfactant. It is an organic salt called a quaternary ammonium compound. It has three main categories of use: as a biocide, a cationic surfactant, and as a phase transfer agent. BKC is a mixture of alkylbenzyldimethylammonium chlorides, in which the alkyl group has various even-numbered alkyl chain lengths.
Active content, %
Amine salt, %
pH(1% water solution)
Application1) Water treatment : Used as bactericide, kill green,black spot and mustard algae;
2) Detergent: raw detergent materious;
3) Mainly used in food additives mining, tannery,fertilizer, electroplating, dying, printing, precision casting etc
4) Oil & gas industry: strong biocide and algicide ability, to prevent pipe from being blocked and rusted.
5) Medicine: Benzalkonium chloride is a frequently used preservative in eye drops; typical concentrations range from 0.004% to 0.01%. Stronger concentrations can be caustic and cause irreversible damage to the corneal endothelium.
6) Benzalkonium chloride is an active ingredient in many consumer products:
Pharmaceutical products such as eye, ear and nasal drops or sprays, as a preservative
Personal care products such as hand sanitizers, wet wipes, shampoos, deodorants and cosmetics
Skin antiseptics, such as Bactine and Dettol
Some disinfectant solutions, such as post-piercing ear disinfectants.
Throat lozenges and mouthwashes, as a biocide
Over-the-counter single-application treatments for herpes, cold-sores, and fever blisters, such as RELEEV and Viroxyn
Burn and ulcer treatment
Spray disinfectants for hard surface sanitization
Cleaners for floor and hard surfaces as a disinfectant, such as Lysol
Algaecides for clearing of algae, moss, lichens from paths, roof tiles, swimming pools, masonry, etc.
7) Benzalkonium chloride is also used in many non-consumer processes and products, including as an active ingredient in surgical disinfection. A comprehensive list of uses includes industrial applications. An advantage of benzalkonium chloride, not shared by ethanol-based antiseptics or hydrogen peroxide antiseptic, is that it does not cause a burning sensation when applied to broken skin.
16mt per (80drums) 20ft container